Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Christmas Tradition

Christmas time again and baking cookies is a 
family tradition that my mom passed down
to my sisters and I. She would make all the
different doughs...and triple them up for giving
as well as eating! We would help her decorate 
the sugar cookies, but she would go through so
much to make everything perfect... I sure do 
feel for her. This is a recipe out of an old,
'really' old Betty Crocker Cookbook which she
sent to me after I asked her to leave it to me
in her will... omg... It is all ragged and old, but I LOVE IT!!
It brings back so many fond memories of Christmas'
past. What wonderful memories they were... I try
to keep with traditions but now with just my son
and myself it's not like big family gatherings or all
the fuss any more. I used to make all the same cookies
that my mom did when I was a child... they included
Ethel's Sugar Cookies, Russian Teacakes, Almond 
Crescents, these are all from this cookbook she had.
Well, I tell you, I'm tired!!! I only made Ethel's 
Sugar Cookies and didn't even make the icing and go
through all the elaborate decorating this year. 
First of all, the store was out of all the decorations
and I had to use what I had on hand... They aren't
as pretty as the cookies my mom, sisters and I made
years ago...but it was enough work for me. I was
in the kitchen for about 6 hours. These cookies
need a lot of chilling time, first the dough is made, (I 
tripled the recipe because my son will be taking some to
his school tomorrow for the class party). After
the dough is mixed it needs to chill for an hour,
after this, it needs to be rolled out between waxed
paper sheets and chilled again, then it needs to be
cut out into the shapes with cookie cutters and chilled again,
then you must carefully and quickly get the cookie out
and place it on the cookie sheets, decorate, put in
the oven for 7 minutes at 400F and chill the rest of the 
dough left and repeat the whole process again.
Well, I had many sheets going and tried to roll, cut, decorate
and get it ready to go by the time 7 minutes was up.
I was on a roll! lol   Now I'm on my bed, worn out.
One year I made them with the icing and all, that took
2 days to make!  Remind me next time to thank my mom for
passing this recipe down... LOL!! That cookbook is older
than me and I KNOW they have quicker methods to make
these, but, everyone LOVES Ethel's Sugar Cookies and 
this is the choice my son wanted to share with the school. 

First sheet done...


So many cookies... I will not be making any more,
no Teacakes, no Crescents, no Biscotti or any
others that I've made through the years.


My family is so small now, but I had to make
it special for my youngest son. Notice the bone 
cookies above?  LOL  His request, he loves dogs!!


9:00 pm.... relaxation time. 
Santa better like them... ;)

I just had to add some photos of the infamous
Betty Crocker Cookbook that this recipe came out of
... 

So many wonderful memories of my mom's delicious
cooking and baking... look how worn out it is!! 












1 comment: